National PTA has launched a new initiative to invite Reflections artists of color and their allies to share artwork that expresses and affirms their beliefs and identities. Select works will be used to help us celebrate diversity in the arts. Please feel free to share this opportunity with PTAs and upload artwork to this Google Form by March 1, 2021.
2020-2021 Reflections Theme “I Matter Because…”
The Arlington County Reflections Virtual Awards Ceremony was held on January 27 and can be viewed here.
Application Deadline at individual schools varies. The Arlington County deadline is November 12.
Founded in 1969, the National PTA Reflections Program engages nearly 300,000 students and their families in arts education activities each year — encouraging students to explore the arts for fun and recognition. Through the program, PTAs across the country urge students in preschool through grade 12 to create and submit original works of art in the medium of their choice — dance choreography, film production, literature, music composition, photography and visual arts — reflecting on a specific theme (this years’ theme is “I Matter Because…”). There also is a special artist division option for students with disabilities to ensure that all students have the opportunity to participate in the program. Students are recognized each year for their artistic ingenuity to bring the theme to life in a way that is personal and meaningful.
Instructions on 2020-21 Reflections Contest
Below are some instructions for individual PTAs on this year’s Arlington contest from our Reflections Coordinator, April Maddox. If you have any questions please reach out to April at email@example.com
1) Covid-19 Changes this Year: Yes, even though APS is currently closed for in-person learning, Reflections IS happening in 2020. I’ve been waiting to hear from Virginia/National PTA about how Covid-19 will change Reflections this year and, so far, there is only one change listed on the National PTA website: “National PTA will accept virtual entries and typed signatures on the Student Entry Forms from our States PTAs.” Other than this change, Arlington County Reflections will be “business as usual.” This is not to say that the contests you organize at the school-level have to be the same, you are free to make these contests as virtual as you would like but, for those entries that advance to the county contest, I will still be requiring hard-copies. With an estimated 200 entries received at the county level and my limited technical expertise, I am not able to offer a completely virtual Reflections contest at the county level at this time. I do apologize if this inconveniences anyone.
2) Virginia PTA Reflections Webpage: Here is a link to the national PTA’s downloadable logos, posters, flyers, and social media images for it: https://www.pta.org/home/programs/reflections/startyourprogram#promotions. While this webpage is very informative, you will be able to find more important documents on the Virginia PTA Reflections webpage: https://www.vapta.org/programs/arts-and-education/reflections-top, including an entry form/rules.
3) Entry Form: Attached please find the official 2020-21 Reflections entry form. 2020 Entry Form. I found this on page 3 of the “National PTA Student Packet.” Before distributing this form, I highly recommend you complete the top portion of the form. In this section, you will list your name/contact information as the Reflections representative from your school. You will also list your PTA unit number, the date your schools’ PTA bylaws were last approved (should be within the last 5 years), and the date your school last paid PTA membership dues (should be within the last year). I would reach out to your schools’ PTA president/treasurer for this information. If they don’t have this information, I would call the Virginia PTA office (804-264-1234). You will also enter the following information on the entry form:
Council PTA – Arlington
District PTA – Northern Virginia
Region PTA – Northern
State PTA – Virginia
4. Thursday, November 12, 2020 Arlington County Deadline: The Arlington County deadline for submissions is Thursday, November 12th. This means that your school deadlines should be approximately two to three weeks before then so that you have time to judge your school entries. By November 12th, I ask that you enter the pertinent information for your winners here: (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/10xV1ewqsVwKUTXAgLpivAcbELTtY0Gb1dZpDTebhtAc/viewform?edit_requested=true) and hand-deliver the winning submissions that will go on to the county contest. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to get instructions on hand delivery.
5. Finding Judges and Judging Instructions: If you don’t have judges set up for your school contests, now is the time to start looking for them. Attached please find Judging Instructions to share with your judges and to assist you with solicitation of judges, if necessary. I obtained this from the local leaders guide from the Virginia PTA Reflections website. Instructions for Judges
2019-2020 Reflections Theme “Look Within”
April 2020 – National PTA Reflections Awards Announced – special congratulations to Theo Whiteman (film – Award of Merit).
March 2020 – Virginia State PTA Reflections Awards Announced – special congratulations to Natalia Thornton (dance – Outstanding Interpretation), Mihika Sinha (dance – Award of Merit), Grace Fettig (dance – Award of Merit), Theo Whiteman (film – Outstanding Interpretation), and Tatiana Fedoseeva (visual arts – Award of Excellence).
February 2020 – NOVA District PTA Winners Announced
January 21, 2020 Arlington County Award Ceremony – photos from ceremony, YouTube video, Vimeo video (downloadable)
December 2019 – Arlington County Winners Announced
2018-2019 Reflections Theme “Heroes Around Me”
March 2019 – The State Level Results were announced and special congratulations to both Mason Mirabile (film) and Madison McBeth (music) who will be representing Arlington at the national-level Reflections contest.
February 2019 – NOVA District PTA Winners Announced!