What You Need To Know February 1-7

From the Superintendent’s Advisory Committee on Immigrant and Refugee Student Concerns, with thanks to Janeth Valenzuela for translating.

What You Need to Know, Feb. 1-7


Dates to know:  Monday, Feb. 1, no school for students, and no meal service. Meal service resumes Wednesday, Feb. 3. Thursday, Feb. 4: Get emergency meal kits (3 shelf-stable meals), 11 a.m.-1 p.m., at the 22 school meal sites (no deliveries). Friday, Feb. 5: Early release date for elementary school students. Feb. 4 and 5: Asynchronous days for grades 6-12.

New Covid-19 Testing Kiosks: Arlington County has opened two no-cost testing kiosks, in the parking lot of Aurora Hills Community Center, 735 18th St., S., and Tucker Field at Barcroft Park, 4200 S. Four Mile Run Dr. Both will be open 7 days a week, 12-8 p.m. The mouth-swab tests do not require a doctor’s referral, insurance, or government ID. Walk-up testing is available, but an appointment is recommended at https://curative.com. Service will be available in English and Spanish. Results will be sent electronically within 48-72 hours. See attached flyers.

Covid-19 Vaccine:  Find out if you are eligible to sign up now for the vaccine. More at https://www.arlingtonva.us/covid-19/vaccines/ .

Help with heating bills:  Do you need help with paying your heating bill this winter? Call Arlington County’s Economic Independence Division at 703-228-1350 to ask about assistance.

Free Virtual Citizenship Classes:  Start Wednesday, Feb. 3. To find out more and register, see the attachment.


Winter weather & APS: During inclement weather, distance learning will continue providing there is no interruption in power or network connectivity. If schools and facilities need to close due to weather, Level 1 students attending school in-person will temporarily return to distance learning.

Help for Homeless Students: You do not need a permanent address to be enrolled in school. If you lose housing due to economic hardship or health and safety reasons, you can contact your school social worker, or APS’s Project Extra Step at 703-228-6046, or the Homeless Liaison at 703-228-2585 to find out about help with services like transportation, school meals, school supplies, tutoring, and extended-day. Find out more at https://www.apsva.us/student-services/homeless/ .

Technology support:  APS has a Family Technology Call Center, 703-228-2570, that you can call to get help with Internet access. Hours are 7 a.m. – 9 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 7 a.m. – 6 p.m. on Friday. Help is available in English and Spanish. You can also report a problem to your school ITC by filling out a form at https://www.apsva.us/digital-learning/contact-itc/. For more info on how to set up and use devices, see https://www.apsva.us/school-year-2020-21/technical-support/.

Help with free Comcast Internet Service: APS is paying for up to 12 months of Comcast Internet Essentials service for qualified families. If you have previously applied for this Internet service and been denied, APS encourages you to reapply because restrictions on who can qualify have been loosened. Call your child’s school to get a sponsorship code. If you can’t reach anyone, leave a voicemail with your name and contact info and ask for a call back.

Free WiFi: Arlington County has 19 locations with free outdoors WiFi hotspots where you can access the Internet. Check here https://my.arlingtonva.us/digitalresources?WiFi=true&DriveWiFi=true to find out where they are.

Helpful webinars on distance learning — in different languages: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/11-x7frjOdIBeusRFGF70O2BWNOaIlofe .

Breakfasts and lunches — SEE NEW HOURS THIS WEEK UNDER “NEW” ABOVE. Grab & Go breakfasts and lunches are available on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. at:  Abingdon, Arlington Career Center, Arlington Traditional, Ashlawn, Barcroft, Barrett, Campbell, Carlin Springs, Dr. Charles R. Drew, Glebe, Gunston, Hoffman-Boston, Jefferson, Kenmore, Key, Long Branch, Randolph, Swanson, The Heights, Wakefield, Washington-Liberty, Yorktown. APS is delivering meals to the following locations: Greenbriar Baptist Church, Lee Community Center, Upton Hill Regional Park for Patrick Henry Apartments, Virginia Highlands Park, Woodbury Park, Columbia Grove and Walter Reed Community Center). Families may pick up meals at the location closest to them. ALL students 18 and under are eligible to receive meals. No student ID is required.

If your child is depressed or anxious:  You can contact your child’s school and ask to speak to the social worker. In middle and high schools, you can contact an EL Counselor — call your child’s school office and ask for the EL Counselor. ALSO, you can contact CR2, a 24-hour, multilingual, no-cost crisis line at 844-627-4747, OR call the SAMHSA Disaster Distress Helpline at 1-800-985-5990 24 hours a day, toll-free, to talk to a multilingual therapist. In an emergency, call the County at 703-228-5160 OR 911. A complete list here: https://www.apsva.us/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/InThisTogether.pdf. Also, visit the website for your child’s school and click on In Crisis/Need Help Now? at the bottom on the left-hand side.

More help: APS Bilingual Family Liaisons can help if you can’t find the right telephone number to call. For Bilingual Family Liaison contact info, see the attachment.


Free groceries:  To receive information on where to obtain food, text FOOD or COMIDA to 877-877.

Monday-Friday: Arlington Food Assistance Center, 2708 S. Nelson St., 9:30 a.m.- 2 p.m. You may pick up food once a week. You must have an AFAC Client Card, which you get through a referral. To get a referral: Call your school social worker, the Arlington Department of Human Services at 703-228-1300 or BU-GATA at 703-465-5570. Bring a photo ID with you to pick up food. You may pick up food one time only without a client card, if you bring a photo ID and proof you live in Arlington. AFAC will not share your information with anyone. If the weather is bad, check www.afac.org before you go.
Tuesday:  St. Charles Borromeo, 3304 Washington Blvd., 10 a.m. – noon or until food runs out. No referral needed.
Wednesday:  Our Lady Queen of Peace, 2700 S. 19th St., 9:30-11 a.m. or until food runs out. No referral needed.
Thursday:  Salvation Army, 518 S. Glebe Rd., 9:30-11:30 a.m. and 1:30-3:30 p.m. Also, baby products available at food distribution, while supplies last. For children 0-2. Bring proof of Arlington address and child ID (birth certificate or vaccination records). One time per month.
Friday: AFAC at 10:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m., Assembly of God church, 4501 N. Pershing Dr. rear entrance.
Saturday:  AFAC distribution at 1) Clarendon United Methodist Church, 606 N. Irving St., 8:30-10:30 a.m., for families in North Arlington; 2) 2708 S. Nelson St., 9-11 a.m. First come, first served. Referral needed.

Rent and Utilities:

Evictions:  There is a nationwide ban on evictions through March 31st for tenants who can show they can’t pay rent because of pandemic-related income losses. You MUST sign a specific statement saying that and give it to your landlord. Find out if you are eligible and read the statement here: Eviction FAQs. This means that if you get a “pay or quit” notice, you do NOT have to move. Contact your landlord instead or call Virginia Poverty Law Center at 1-833-663-8428 or Legal Services of Northern Virginia at 703-778-6800. You may get help with rent through Arlington County or THRIVE. Call 703-228-1300. Arlington County will NOT share your information with anyone. Find out more at https://housing.arlingtonva.us/eviction-prevention/.

Utilities:  You may be able to avoid disconnections by utilities (electricity, natural gas, sewer and water) by calling to work out a payment plan. Also, see info on help under NEW above.

General Help:

From the County: https://www.arlingtonva.us/covid-19/food-assistance/
Spanish:  https://vimeo.com/arlingtonva/review/425279921/9aebd1692f
English: https://vimeo.com/arlingtonva/review/424946020/bd5db64c7a
To access videos in other languages: https://www.apsva.us/post/food-resources-from-arlington-county/

Other assistance: Salvation Army — fill out a form and submit it here: English application (Spanish application) or call 703-979-3380. Find out more about help available from Arlington County at https://www.arlingtonva.us/covid-19/financial-assistance/.


Covid-19 Testing:  Arlington County operates a free, walk-in testing clinic open weekdays from noon-5 p.m. at Arlington Mill Community Center, 909 S. Dinwiddie St. No doctor’s referral required. You do not need an appointment, but may make one by calling 703-912-0118 M-F between 9 a.m. & 5 p.m. Testing is also available there until 7 p.m. on the 2nd and 4th Monday of each month (2 additional hours) and from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. on the first Saturday of each month. For general questions about testing, call Arlington County at 703-228-7999 or see https://health.arlingtonva.us/covid-19-coronavirus-updates/covid-19-testing/. Neighborhood Health provides covid-19 testing free for some uninsured patients. Call 703-535-5568 to get a telehealth evaluation before scheduling a test.

Anxiety/depression:  In an emergency, call the County at 703-228-5160. To talk to a therapist, call 703-228-5150, or call or text for free to Virginia COPES at 877-349-6428 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday to Friday and 5-9 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. A complete list of resources is here https://health.arlingtonva.us/get-help-guide/. Free mental health support for essential workers:  The GMU Center for Psychological Services is offering free help at 703-215-1898 for essential workers dealing with anxiety, depression, and grief. 8:30 a.m.-8:30 p.m. Monday-Friday; 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday.

Domestic violence:  Call 703-237-0881 to talk to a counselor about your options. In an emergency, call 911.

Source: Superintendent’s Advisory Committee on Immigrant and Refugee Student Concerns

Lo que necesita saber, del 1 al 7 de febrero


Fechas para saber: Lunes 1 de febrero, no hay clases para los estudiantes y no hay servicio de comidas.  El servicio de comidas se reanuda el miércoles 3 de febrero. Jueves 4 de febrero: obtenga kits de comidas de emergencia (3 comidas que no se pueden almacenar en el estante), de 11 a.m. a 1 p.m., en los 22 sitios de comidas de la escuela (sin entregas).  Viernes 5 de febrero: Fecha de salida anticipada para estudiantes de escuela primaria.  4 y 5 de febrero: Días asincrónicos para los grados 6-12.

Nuevos quioscos de prueba Covid-19: el condado de Arlington ha abierto dos quioscos de prueba sin costo, en el estacionamiento del Centro Comunitario Aurora Hills, 735 18th St., S., y Tucker Field en Barcroft Park, 4200 S. Four Mile Run Dr  Ambos estarán abiertos los 7 días de la semana, de 12:00 a 8:00 pm.Las pruebas con hisopos bucales no requieren la remisión de un médico, el seguro o la identificación del gobierno.  La prueba sin cita previa está disponible, pero se recomienda una cita en https://curative.com.  El servicio estará disponible en inglés y español.  Los resultados se enviarán electrónicamente en un plazo de 48 a 72 horas.  Ver folletos adjuntos.

Vacuna Covid-19: averigüe si es elegible para inscribirse ahora para la vacuna.  Más en https://www.arlingtonva.us/covid-19/vaccines/.

Ayuda con las facturas de calefacción: ¿Necesita ayuda para pagar su factura de calefacción este invierno?  Llame a la División de Independencia Económica del Condado de Arlington al 703-228-1350 para solicitar ayuda.

Clases gratuitas de ciudadanía virtual: comienzan el miércoles 3 de febrero. Para obtener más información y registrarse, consulte el archivo adjunto.


Clima invernal y APS: durante las inclemencias del tiempo, el aprendizaje a distancia continuará siempre que no haya interrupciones en el suministro eléctrico o la conectividad de la red.  Si las escuelas y las instalaciones deben cerrar debido al clima, los estudiantes de Nivel 1 que asisten a la escuela en persona regresarán temporalmente al aprendizaje a distancia.

Ayuda para estudiantes sin hogar: No necesita una dirección permanente para inscribirse en la escuela.  Si pierde la vivienda debido a dificultades económicas o razones de salud y seguridad, puede comunicarse con el trabajador social de su escuela, o con el Proyecto Extra Step de APS al 703-228-6046, o con Homeless Liaison al 703-228-2585 para obtener ayuda con  servicios como transporte, comidas escolares, útiles escolares, tutoría y jornada escolar extendida.  Obtenga más información en https://www.apsva.us/student-services/homeless/.

Soporte tecnológico: APS tiene un Centro de llamadas de tecnología familiar, 703-228-2570, al que puede llamar para obtener ayuda con el acceso a Internet.  El horario es de 7 a.m. a 9 p.m.  Lunes a jueves, 7 a.m .– 6 p.m.  el viernes.  La ayuda está disponible en inglés y español.  También puede informar un problema al ITC de su escuela completando un formulario en https://www.apsva.us/digital-learning/contact-itc/.  Para obtener más información sobre cómo configurar y usar dispositivos, consulte https://www.apsva.us/school-year-2020-21/technical-support/.

Ayuda con el servicio gratuito de Internet de Comcast: APS paga hasta 12 meses del servicio Comcast Internet Essentials para familias que reúnan los requisitos.  Si ya solicitó este servicio de Internet y se le negó, APS lo alienta a que lo vuelva a solicitar porque se han suavizado las restricciones sobre quién puede calificar.  Llame a la escuela de su hijo para obtener un código de patrocinio.  Si no puede comunicarse con nadie, deje un mensaje de voz con su nombre e información de contacto y solicite una devolución de llamada.

WiFi gratuito: el condado de Arlington tiene 19 ubicaciones con puntos de acceso WiFi gratuitos al aire libre donde puede acceder a Internet.  Consulte aquí https://my.arlingtonva.us/digitalresources?WiFi=true&DriveWiFi=true para averiguar dónde están.

Seminarios web útiles sobre aprendizaje a distancia, en diferentes idiomas: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/11-x7frjOdIBeusRFGF70O2BWNOaIlofe.

Desayunos y almuerzos – VER HORARIO NUEVO ESTA SEMANA BAJO “NUEVO” ARRIBA.  Los desayunos y almuerzos para llevar están disponibles los lunes, miércoles y viernes de 11 a.m. a 1 p.m.  en: Abingdon, Arlington Career Center, Arlington Traditional, Ashlawn, Barcroft, Barrett, Campbell, Carlin Springs, Dr. Charles R. Drew, Glebe, Gunston, Hoffman-Boston, Jefferson, Kenmore, Key, Long Branch, Randolph, Swanson,  Las alturas, Wakefield, Washington-Liberty, Yorktown.  APS está entregando comidas en los siguientes lugares: Greenbriar Baptist Church, Lee Community Center, Upton Hill Regional Park para Patrick Henry Apartments, Virginia Highlands Park, Woodbury Park, Columbia Grove y Walter Reed Community Center).  Las familias pueden recoger las comidas en el lugar más cercano a ellos.  TODOS los estudiantes de 18 años o menos son elegibles para recibir comidas.  No se requiere identificación de estudiante.

Si su hijo está deprimido o ansioso: puede comunicarse con la escuela de su hijo y pedir hablar con el trabajador social.  En las escuelas intermedias y secundarias, puede comunicarse con un consejero de EL; llame a la oficina de la escuela de su hijo y pregunte por el consejero de EL.  TAMBIÉN, puede comunicarse con CR2, una línea de crisis sin costo, multilingüe y disponible las 24 horas al 844-627-4747, O llamar a la Línea de ayuda para casos de desastre de SAMHSA al 1-800-985-5990, las 24 horas del día, sin cargo,  hablar con un terapeuta multilingüe.  En caso de emergencia, llame al condado al 703-228-5160 O al 911. Una lista completa aquí: https://www.apsva.us/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/InThisTogether.pdf.  Además, visite el sitio web de la escuela de su hijo y haga clic en In Crisis / Need Help Now?  en la parte inferior del lado izquierdo.

Más ayuda: Los enlaces familiares bilingües de APS pueden ayudar si no puede encontrar el número de teléfono correcto para llamar.  Para obtener información de contacto del enlace familiar bilingüe, consulte el archivo adjunto.


Alimentos gratis: Para recibir información sobre dónde obtener alimentos, envíe un mensaje de texto con COMIDA o COMIDA al 877-877.

De lunes a viernes: Centro de asistencia alimentaria de Arlington, 2708 S. Nelson St., de 9:30 a.m. a 2 p.m.  Puede recoger comida una vez a la semana.  Debe tener una tarjeta de cliente AFAC, que obtiene a través de una remisión.  Para obtener una remisión: Llame al trabajador social de su escuela, el Departamento de Servicios Humanos de Arlington al 703-228-1300 o BU-GATA al 703-465-5570.  Traiga una identificación con foto para recoger alimentos.  Puede recoger comida una sola vez sin una tarjeta de cliente, si trae una identificación con foto y prueba de que vive en Arlington.  AFAC no compartirá su información con nadie.  Si hace mal tiempo, visite www.afac.org antes de ir.

Martes: St. Charles Borromeo, 3304 Washington Blvd., de 10 a.m. a mediodía o hasta que se acabe la comida.  No se necesita remisión.
Miércoles: Nuestra Señora Reina de la Paz, 2700 S. 19th St., 9: 30-11 a.m. o hasta que se acabe la comida.  No se necesita remisión.
Jueves: Ejército de Salvación, 518 S. Glebe Rd., 9: 30-11: 30 a.m. y 1: 30-3: 30 p.m.  Identificacion se requiere.
Viernes: AFAC de 10:30 a.m. a 12:00 p.m., iglesia de la Asamblea de Dios, 4501 N. Pershing Dr. entrada trasera.
Sábado: Distribución de AFAC en 1) Clarendon United Methodist Church, 606 N. Irving St., 8: 30-10: 30 a.m., para familias en North Arlington;  2) 2708 S. Nelson St., 9-11 a.m. Por orden de llegada.  Se necesita remisión.

Alquiler y servicios públicos:

Desalojos: Existe una prohibición nacional de desalojos hasta el 31 de marzo para los inquilinos que puedan demostrar que no pueden pagar el alquiler debido a pérdidas de ingresos relacionadas con la pandemia.  DEBE firmar una declaración específica que diga eso y entregársela al propietario. Averigüe si es elegible y lea la declaración aquí: https://nlihc.org/sites/default/files/ES_National-Eviction-Moratorium_FAQ-for-Renters.pdf. Esto significa que si recibe un aviso de “pagar o mudarse, ” NO tiene que mudarse.  En su lugar, comuníquese con el propietario o llame al Virginia Poverty Law Center al 1-833-663-8428 o a los Servicios Legales del Norte de Virginia al 703-778-6800.  Puede obtener ayuda con el alquiler a través del condado de Arlington o THRIVE.  Llame al 703-228-1300.  El condado de Arlington NO compartirá su información con nadie.  Obtenga más información en https://housing.arlingtonva.us/eviction-prevention/.

Servicios públicos: Es posible que pueda evitar desconexiones de los servicios públicos (electricidad, gas natural, alcantarillado y agua) llamando para elaborar un plan de pago.  Además, consulte la información sobre la ayuda en NUEVO arriba.

Ayuda general: 

Desde el condado: https://www.arlingtonva.us/covid-19/food-assistance/
Español: https://vimeo.com/arlingtonva/review/425279921/9aebd1692f
Inglés: https://vimeo.com/arlingtonva/review/424946020/bd5db64c7a
Para acceder a videos en otros idiomas: https://www.apsva.us/post/food-resources-from-arlington-county/

Otra asistencia: Ejército de Salvación: complete un formulario y envíelo aquí: Solicitud en inglés (solicitud en español) o llame al 703-979-3380.  Obtenga más información sobre la ayuda disponible en el condado de Arlington en https://www.arlingtonva.us/covid-19/financial-assistance/.


Pruebas de Covid-19: el condado de Arlington opera una clínica de pruebas sin cita previa abierta de lunes a viernes desde el mediodía hasta las 5 p.m.  en Arlington Mill Community Center, 909 S. Dinwiddie St. No se requiere remisión médica.  No necesita una cita, pero puede hacer una llamando al 703-912-0118 de lunes a viernes entre las 9 a.m. y las 5 p.m.  Las pruebas también están disponibles allí hasta las 7 p.m.  El segundo y cuarto lunes de cada mes (2 horas adicionales) y de 10 a 14 h.  el primer sábado de cada mes.  Si tiene preguntas generales sobre las pruebas, llame al condado de Arlington al 703-228-7999 o consulte https://health.arlingtonva.us/covid-19-coronavirus-updates/covid-19-testing/.  Neighborhood Health ofrece pruebas de covid-19 gratuitas para algunos pacientes sin seguro.  Llame al 703-535-5568 para obtener una evaluación de telesalud antes de programar una prueba.

Ansiedad / depresión: en caso de emergencia, llame al condado al 703-228-5160.  Para hablar con un terapeuta, llame al 703-228-5150, o llame o envíe un mensaje de texto gratis a Virginia COPES al 877-349-6428 de 9 a.m. a 9 p.m.  Lunes a Viernes de 17 a 21 hs.  Sábado y domingo.  Una lista completa de recursos está aquí https://health.arlingtonva.us/get-help-guide/.  Apoyo de salud mental gratuito para trabajadores esenciales: El Centro de Servicios Psicológicos de GMU ofrece ayuda gratuita al 703-215-1898 para trabajadores esenciales que enfrentan ansiedad, depresión y dolor.  8:30 a.m.-8: 30 p.m.  Lunes Viernes;  8:30 a.m. a 4 p.m.  Sábado.

Violencia doméstica: llame al 703-237-0881 para hablar con un consejero sobre sus opciones.  En caso de emergencia, llame al 911.

Fuente: Comité Asesor del Superintendente sobre inquietudes de estudiantes inmigrantes y refugiados