February 2020 Meeting Minutes

DATE:  February 10, 2020
PLACE:  Syphax Room #256
TIME:  7:00 – 9:00 PM

ACTION ITEMS:
– Mark your calendars:  “Community in Conversation, Promoting Diversity and Collaboration in Arlington,” Thursday, Feb. 20, 7-8:30 p.m., at Thomas Jefferson M.S. Auditorium
– Mark your calendars: our next CCPTA meeting will be held Monday, March 15, from 7-9 p.m.
– Nomination committee members are needed!  E-mail Maura if you are interested in serving.
– Do you have feedback from the “Challenging Racism” recent presentation on Feb. 3.?  If so, please e-mail Maura.
– Discovery is seeking a partner for a full 11-week “Challenging Racism” program in the fall.  E-mail Maura if interested.
– Do you have feedback on the recent elementary planning process, Phase 1?  If so, please e-mail Maura.
– See attached handout and presentation regarding Triennial Transportation Study from Kristin Haldeman.

7:00 PM:  Open Meeting

  • Welcome (Maura)

 (7:05) APS updates

  • Acting Superintendent’s update – Cintia Johnson (presentation)
    • Tuesday, Feb. 13, Black History Month Celebration, “We are Arlington,” 6:30-8:30 p.m., at Kenmore Middle School
    • Crossing Guard Appreciation Week is Feb. 10-14
    • Feb. 12, Arlington Career and Technical Education Night, CTE, from 6:30-8:30
    • Addressing Accessibility Concerns at Fleet:
      • Will be presented as an information item on Feb. 20 School Board Meeting, with an Action Item at the March 12 School Board Meeting
      • Honoring our differences; practicing tolerance; celebrating inclusion – communication went out to APS via School Talk last week.
      • Total Costs from FY 2018 through FY 2020 – graph giving specific expenditures
    • School Board member – Tannia Talento
      • 2019-20 School Board Action Plan and FY2021 Budget Calendar
      • Adopted the Interim Superintendent’s recommendation at the last School Board meeting to move Key School to ATS, ATS, to McKinley, and most of McKinley to the new elementary school at Reed. This will allow us to focus on the boundary process this coming fall, as well as where to plan for additional students in the upcoming CIP process.
      • Adopted calendar that begins school on August 31. Will work with principals to ensure that they excuse absences on the first day of school.
      • Representatives from search firm for Superintendent recently gave a presentation at the last School Board meeting. Next step:  applications close March 10.  Interview process will follow, with selection to be shared in May.
      • Tannia spoke about a possible refinement to Engage – which will push out proposed changes to the PIP well in advance for feedback via a form.
      • Regarding excused absences for Aug. 31, APS Staff will try to work ensure that calls are not issued on that particular day to families with students absent from school.
    • County Board member – Libby Garvey
      • Upcoming consideration of APS Budget in the next few months.
      • County Board meets monthly with the School Board.
      • County Manager letter issued in November regarding County-identified sites that APS could use for construction (see last page of letter).

 (7:45)  Action items

  • School Board appreciation presentation
    • Motion to move funds to CPCI fund in recognition of the School Board – $500 to CPCI fund – approved.
  • Approval of January minutes.

(7:46)  Business items and updates

  • Reminder: nomination committee needed
    • Slate ready in April, vote in May; Bob (Ashlawn) and Dedra (CCPTA Secretary & Key) currently on the nominating committee. We will need one more representative for the committee.
  • Richmond legislative update – Alisa Cowan (tabled to March)
  • Treasurer’s Report
    • Every school has paid its dues; thank you! The budget column has been change to reflect those receipts.
    • CPCI reimbursements are trickling in.
    • February’s budget will show the money for the Summer Activities Fair (income and expenses).
    • Arlington Science Focus committed additional funds to CPCI; thank you, ASFS!
  • Committee reports or updates
    • Reflections Committee – April Maddox
      • If you have items that you have not retrieved, please reach out to Maura.
    • Summer Activities Fair – Don Weinstein
      • If you are interested in planning and implementing next year’s fair, please reach out to Don. It will take only 4 hours of your time and Don will provide all details!
    • SEPTA – Jana Dressel
      • Thank you to the various speakers at the recent SB meeting for speaking up about issues at Fleet.
      • Have engaged in numerous letter writing campaigns. Reach out to Jana if you are interested in assisting.
      • Or, think about attending an Arlington Special Education Advisory Committee (ASEAC) meeting. Public comments are taken at the beginning of the meeting.
      • Monthly meeting featuring Dr. Judith Glasser (“Growing Up with Learning Challenges: Impact on Emotions and Behavior” this Thursday, 7 p.m., at Syphax, Room 452.)
    • CPCI – Emily Vincent
      • If anyone has information on how to grow a grant fund, Emily would love to hear from you. Please e-mail her if interested!
    • Career Center BLPC update – Dave Priddy & Katherine Novello
      • Parking – whether parking will be built on-site to accommodate all parking, or whether there will be a combination of street and on-site parking provided. Katherine noted the importance of providing on-site teacher and staff parking.  Career BLPC will likely ask for another transportation study, to account for the opening of the Montessori Public School of Arlington.
    • Fleet accessibility and safety issues
      • There is an County-owned lot nearby – DPR lot next to Fleet that’s blocked off. But, this can be utilized for current and anticipated parking needs.
      • Jana noted that the Fleet issues have brought to light parking issues at other schools regarding handicapped street parking availability. Many handicapped spots are currently included in the bus loop, which limits access.
      • A representative noted that there needs to be a systematic approach to resolving accessibility and safety issues, and get APS’ assurances that it will commit resources to a system-wide review.
    • Challenging Racism – feedback
      • Discovery seeking partner for 11-week program in fall
      • Please provide any feedback on the presentation to Maura.
      • CR’s suggestions for consideration
      • TJ presentation next Thursday, Feb. 20, from 6:30-8:30 regarding racism and anti-Semitism.
    • Feedback solicitation re: elementary planning process Phase 1. APS wants schools’ feedback.  And, CCPTA wants input as to what CCPTA’s roles should be.  Please e-mail Maura or bring to the next meeting.

 Next CCPTA meeting: Monday, March 16, 2020  7 – 9 pm