DATE: Monday, January 13, 2019
PLACE: Syphax Room #256
TIME: 7:00 – 9:00 PM
– Reflections awards ceremony Tue Jan 21 6:30 -9 PM (W-L)
– Next CCPTA meeting: Monday, February 10, 2020 7 – 9 pm
– Summer Activities Fair Friday, Feb 7th 6 – 8 PM (Kenmore MS)
– We need volunteers for the Nominating Committee; please e-mail Maura at firstname.lastname@example.org
– Mark your calendars: Challenging Racism, Feb. 3. Dinner will be provided, but please bring a drink. If you plan to attend, please e-mail Maura at email@example.com
7:00 PM: Open Meeting
(7:05) APS updates
- Acting Superintendent’s update – Cintia Johnson (Presentation and follow up regarding question about technology access for families)
- School Board member – Monique O’Grady
- Keep an eye out regarding the Superintendent search. Will be doing a lot of engagement. Will be holding community forums for people to participate in (Jan. 22 and 25)
- Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer, Aaron Gregory
- Budget will be shared by Cintia Johnson at upcoming School Board meeting, Feb. 27
- Likely a budget deficit.
- Elementary Planning—public hearing on Jan. 3, with a vote on Feb. 6.
- Question about elimination of summer enrichment classes—unfortunately, this is a result of budget constraints, but Staff wants to be able to help students who fall behind and meet budget constraints.
- Ms. Johnson added that hiring teachers is difficult right now, and the enrichment program presented a challenge in that regard.
- Staff is working with Arlington Parks & Recreation and Arlington Library to present options to families.
- Question about the communication about the elimination of summer enrichment—Ms. Johnson said that information will go out this week. Information was originally communicated in a School Talk message.
- County Board member – TBD
- Your Voice Matters survey – Michael Frickel, Asst. Research Director (Presentation, Flyer)
- Survey e-mailed today to families. The survey will also be sent via mail and is available in multiple languages.
- Closing date is 2/28.
- Superintendent Search meetings (Flyer)
(7:45) Action items
- Approval of December minutes
(7:46) Business items and updates
- Call for nomination committee
- All positions are up
- Slate ready in April, vote in May
- If you’re interested in the Nominating Committee, please e-mail Maura, firstname.lastname@example.org. We need three volunteers. Please consider volunteering.
- Challenging Racism – Feb. 3, with backup/snow date of Mar. 2
- Electronic sign-up MUST RSVP at https://forms.gle/z8nQZCq8yg3yPPj86
- Committee reports or updates
- See Treasurer Report
- Budget line item (Family Engagement) was revised from $250 to $2000 upon motion and voice vote for the Challenging Racism presentation.
- Tara Teaford is recruiting for a new Safety Committee chair and additional representatives for the Committee. E-mail us if you are interested in either serving as chair or a representative.
- CPCI—application period shifted. Feb 10 is the next application deadline, with decisions announced Mar. 16. Application is available on the website.
- Reflections Ceremony Jan. 21, 6:30-9 p.m. at W-L. If you are able to volunteer, please let us know.
- We’re also looking for a volunteer/point of contact for the Summer Activities Fair. Please let us know if you are interested.
- BLPC update—this month, discussed design phase.
- See Treasurer Report
(8:00) Presentation and discussion
- Elementary school planning proposal—Lisa Stengle, Director of Planning and Evaluation
- The recommendation addresses long-term challenges for our school division.
- There were errors in the past boundary process, so this summer, we met with APS instructional leaders.
- Just updated projections—and the previous kindergarten projections were high.
- But, we do not have capacity where we need it. ASFS is overcrowded and exists outside of its boundary.
- We have an area of potential growth in Rosslyn that will need a school.
- Area on Western End of Columbia Pike will also need expansion of its schools.
- And, there are students who have very long bus rides.
- APS took demographics into account in the process in several ways (slide number 10; see handout, attached).
- Q&A regarding proposal.