DATE: Monday, November 18, 2019
PLACE: Syphax Room #256
TIME: 7:00 – 9:00 PM
7:00 PM: Open Meeting
- Katherine Novello – welcome (Maura is out of town)
- Intros around the room
- Reid Goldstein – School Board member
- Superintendent search in progress; released RFP in September for exec search firm to help with logistics and details of recruitment process
- Program of Studies – meeting tomorrow to discuss adding high school courses, such as criminal justice, cybersecurity, IB Chinese. Courses being requested by students, but that will require significant additional funding for staff.
- Options phase of Boundary process – we have heard feedback that survey process is inadequate. Please send thoughts directly to engage email address (email@example.com) rather than struggle with survey.
- Cintia Johnson – Acting Superintendent (Presentation Slides)
- Please provide feedback on School Year Calendar options
- Socialize winter weather procedures infographic
- Now that #42in42 is complete, moving on to All4APSstudents, focusing on every student having at least 1 positive relationship with an adult
- Question – update on construction projects?
- Hamm has a new Project Manager, now on schedule for its new target date (not sure what that is)
- Reed – on schedule
- County Board member – TBD – none in attendance
Business items and updates
- Approval of October minutes – approved
- Treasurer’s report – Kendra Anderson
- Audit completed, no major findings. Maura will need to sign upon her return, and then the report will be distributed. Nothing changed with budget. Bank balance currently $13,492.55, split between general operating fund and CPCI fund. Member PTAs – please remember I need the membership form with the checks.
- Safety Committee report – Tara Teaford
- Lots of interest in the committee since Forum last month. Working with new Safety workgroup / subcommittee of School Health Advisory Board (SHAB) to align goals and purposes to avoid duplicating advocacy efforts. New primary goal: advocate for facilities accountability for public safety input, especially wrt new buildings.
- Career Center BLPC update – Katherine Novello
- Brainstorming “building blocks” session to generate ideas for creating capacity within the same footprint – creative ideas but design still pending. Still planned to house high school options seats only.
- Partnerships Work Group – no representation
- CPCI update – Emily Vincent
- Lots of applications received, due by midnight tonight. Will publish a report to be transparent about applications when process is completed. Reminder that you can still submit a donation with your membership checks. Suggestion to have discussion about applications with SB member(s) present.
- Scholarship fund update – Don Weinstein
- Dissolving fund and transfer responsibility to Arlington Retired Teachers Association. Planned to be out of operation by June.
- APS Sustainability Committee (Levi Novey) and Taylor ES sustainability committee (Liz Rugebar)
- Program created a few years ago, expanded to 20 schools this year. Teachers provided a stipend to support sustainability efforts. Focused this year on waste reduction and recycling. Site Waste Assessments taught us a lot, continuing those this year. Exploring action oriented activities and climate change with student members. Liz gave presentation (attached) on liaison program and Taylor’s experience.
CLOSED DISCUSSION/Action items
- Challenging Racism – possible dates? – identifying tentative date in February
- CCPTA has been provided copies of letters and questions re the elementary school proposals from McKinley and Campbell PTAs. All other PTAs are welcomed and encouraged to forward copies of theirs to us as well to aid us in reviewing and compiling comments to determine how CCPTA can be supportive and best advocate in this process.
- How can CCPTA support school PTAs to advocate and voice their priorities on this process?
- Policy updates –
- Equity Policy discussion
- Chief Diversity, Equity, Inclusion Officer discussion
- SRO MOU discussion
Announcements/Upcoming/Possible future meeting topics
- Superintendent’s proposed budget
- Elementary school proposals and boundary revisions
- Student achievement disparities
- Next CCPTA meeting: Monday, December 9th, 7 – 9 pm